Monday, April 23, 2007

Modern Hero live

Friday I met one of my childhood heroes in person. Rüdiger Nehberg presented his life and work in a slide show and the title "Querschnitt durch ein aufregendes Leben" didn't promise too much. His life certainly was and is an exciting one. He crossed countries, deserts and oceans with little means like a knife or a pedal boat. He fought successfully for the rights of the Yanomami in South America, risking his life more than once. His current project is the work against female genital mutilation and his success so far is impressive.

I was asking myself beforehand how much the real world person would differ from the image I had in my head and I was a bit scared to be disappointed and loose one of my idols for modern life. But he is exactly as in his books. Rüdiger, the former baker man, a bit nervous himself before the presentation, enthusiastic when he speaks about his adventures and with a hoarse voice when he speaks about the tragedies on his way and the cruelty he fights against.

I would like to be more like him and more people like him.

No comments: